The Button Shop has been assisting the Bowring Park Foundation in the packaging of duck food since February 5, 2003. The Button Shop employs members of the Vera Perlin Society who allow individuals with developmental disabilities to enjoy independence through employment. The employees package bags of duck food that are then sold throughout the year for one dollar a bag at Marie’s Mini Mart locations in the City of St. John's and surrounding areas. This allows patrons of the park to buy duck food which provides proper nutrition for the birds, rather than feeding them bread which can dehydrate them and can pollute their habitat. All of the profits from the sale of duck food go back into projects for Bowring Park.
The Bowring Park Foundation was established on April 18, 1995, as a not-for-profit organization under the patronage of Derrick Bowring, a relative of Sir Edgar Bowring. Sir Edgar donated the park land to the City of St. John's in 1911 on behalf of Bowring Brothers Ltd. on their 100th anniversary of commerce in Newfoundland.
In cooperation with the City of St. John’s, The Bowring Park Foundation is a Citizens group formed to ensure, through active participation in restoration and future development projects, that Bowring Park is maintained and developed as a public park for quiet family enjoyment for the citizens of the region.