On October 15, 2009, the Bowring Park Foundation (BPF) and the City of St. John’s officially opened the Barrier Free Playground and the Splash Pad in Bowring Park. This project, one of the initiatives from the 2005 Bowring Park Master Plan, was cost-shared by the City and BPF with the generous support of two organizations, United Way of Newfoundland and Labrador who contributed $25,000 and VOCM Cares Foundation who contributed $50,000. Grand Concourse Authority was the manager for this project and Point Contracting Company completed the work. Mike Power, the BPF chairman, expressed thanks to all. “The completed project is one in which we all can take pride. This inclusive playground should benefit all children who visit the park for many years to come.
The Bowring Park Foundation was established on April 18, 1995, as a not-for-profit organization under the patronage of Derrick Bowring, a relative of Sir Edgar Bowring. Sir Edgar donated the park land to the City of St. John's in 1911 on behalf of Bowring Brothers Ltd. on their 100th anniversary of commerce in Newfoundland.
In cooperation with the City of St. John’s, The Bowring Park Foundation is a Citizens group formed to ensure, through active participation in restoration and future development projects, that Bowring Park is maintained and developed as a public park for quiet family enjoyment for the citizens of the region.