The Bowring Park Foundation held its Annual General Meeting on January 13. One of the main topics on the agenda was Bowring Park’s upcoming centennial in 2014.
Our director, Nick Janes, is the chairman of the Bowring Park Centennial Committee and he reports that plans are already underway to give Bowring Park and her patrons a great birthday year.
The Bowring Park Foundation was established on April 18, 1995, as a not-for-profit organization under the patronage of Derrick Bowring, a relative of Sir Edgar Bowring. Sir Edgar donated the park land to the City of St. John's in 1911 on behalf of Bowring Brothers Ltd. on their 100th anniversary of commerce in Newfoundland.
In cooperation with the City of St. John’s, The Bowring Park Foundation is a Citizens group formed to ensure, through active participation in restoration and future development projects, that Bowring Park is maintained and developed as a public park for quiet family enjoyment for the citizens of the region.