Bowring Park’s Centennial Celebrations
There were year-round free public celebrations for Bowring Park’s 100th birthday on July 15, 2014. These included:
- Winter Fun Events
- Spring Teas at The Bungalow for Residents of the St. John’s Senior Citizens’ Homes
- Summer Storytelling Sessions at the Peter Pan Statue
- Centennial Musical Presentation Created & Performed by Spirit of Newfoundland at The Amphitheatre on July 13, 2014
- Re-enactment of the Opening of Bowring Park held at The Bungalow on July 15, 2014
- Presentation to the City of St. John’s on July 15, 2014 of two Lecterns made from the fallen wood of the Linden Tree that was planted at the official opening of Bowring Park on July 15, 1914. This beautiful old tree was destroyed by Hurricane Igor in 2009 and another was planted to replace it.
- Presentation to the City of St. John’s of a bench on The Bungalow Lawn dedicated to the Bowring Park’s Centenary.
- Planting of a tree on the Bungalow Lawn on July 15, 2014 by Victoria LeMessurier Badcock who when a baby was in attendance when the Park officially opened in 1914.
- A new Entrance Sign for the Park was installed in 2015. This was a Legacy Gift from Bowring Park Foundation for Bowring Park’s Centenary.