Reconstruction of Bowring Park Greenhouse as a Conservatory – 1996
The original Greenhouse in Bowring Park was constructed in 1947 with money received as a bequest of Sir Edgar Bowring. Its original purpose was that of a working greenhouse to supply the Park with all its necessary plant material.
Over the years, the park increased in size from 50 acres to 200, and the Greenhouse was unable to produce all the plant material required for the larger area.
In the 1990s, the Greenhouse was in a state of disrepair. A sum of money had been bequeathed to the park by Doreen Hall and it was decided that the Greenhouse would be replaced with a Conservatory. The rebuilt structure was officially re-opened on November 24, 1996.