World War I Commemorative Project “Lighting the Way”
This project highlighted Bowring Park’s three First World War Memorials, The Caribou, The Beaumont Hamel Replica Plaques, The Fighting Newfoundlander.
- Twenty-nine environmentally friendly solar lights were installed around the park to help guide visitors to these sites when the sunlight hours grow shorter in the fall.
- Banners that depict the three Memorials and mark their sites were put at the top of nearby lamp posts.
- Floodlights were mounted to focus on The Caribou and The Beaumont Hamel Replica Plaques.
- The Fighting Newfoundlander site was restored.
- A storyboard about The Fighting Newfoundlander was created. This storyboard was unveiled in a World War 1 Commemorative Ceremony in Bowring Park on June 2, 2016, by The Honourable Frank Fagan, Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador.