This park was a gift to the City from Bowring Brothers’ Ltd. on the occasion of its 100th business anniversary in Newfoundland in 1911. It was designed by Frederick Todd as a Victorian-style park and was originally 50 acres when it first opened in 1914. The City of St. John’s expanded it in the 1950s and it is now 200 acres, the largest of the municipal parks.
Bowring Park is a popular family retreat located in St. John’s, NL. It is located in the Waterford Valley, approximately 4.5 km west of City Hall, and it is framed by the Waterford River on the north boundary and South Brook on the south boundary.
While located in the capital city of St. John’s, Bowring Park serves a broader community. Residents of neighbouring Mount Pearl, Paradise, Conception Bay South, and indeed the whole northeast Avalon Peninsula enjoy this park.
“May it ever be a source of pleasure and enjoyment to the citizens of St. John’s and to Newfoundland in general.”
— His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught